Join us for the 2023 Math Workshop!
August 14th, 15th & 16th
8:00 am–4:00 pm daily
Develop math instruction in Pre-K through 5th-grade curriculum.
Explore how to foster inquiry, conceptual understanding, and build a math community through hands-on, manipulative-based learning.
- Focus on the use of mathematical manipulatives as a way to meet differing student learning styles and levels of mathematical understanding.
- Build strategies to enhance and individualize specific math concepts using hands-on materials
- Explore ways to integrate math into meaningful interdisciplinary projects across your curriculum
- Develop teaching and assessment techniques in alignment with grade-level standards
- Topics explored could include place value, numeric operations, fractions/decimals/percents, algebraic sense, probability, or geometry
- Apply these new concepts and techniques directly to your school’s current math curriculum.
- For pre-K through 5th-grade teachers.
- Clock Hours, CEUs, and Post-BA Credits available
Constructing Mathematical Understanding is an interactive, hands-on course designed for Pre-K and Elementary educators. Participants will explore techniques for teaching math concepts through a variety of student learning-style approaches. We will focus on the use of mathematical manipulatives as a way to introduce new concepts, enhance and assess current understanding, and individualize existing curricula to meet each student’s level of mathematical understanding. Instructors will highlight how to blend these techniques with traditional teaching methodologies and grade-level requirements.
Additionally, this course will use a theme to show participants fun and creative ways to boost student engagement and integrate math concepts with other subject areas in the classroom. Whether you are a math expert or building your own mathematical confidence, you will have fun while learning new strategies to take back to your classrooms!
Meaningful, Hands-On Professional Development
The UCDS Institute hosts a variety of events, courses, and educational workshops throughout the year. Our offerings range from one-off evening seminars and speaker events to intensive, credit-bearing courses. Our instructors are experienced UCDS teachers and workshops are designed so that the techniques explored will work in conjunction with your existing curricula. Our expert faculty designs workshops and courses to be informative, hands-on and most of all, fun!
Recent Courses and Workshops
Constructing Mathematical Understanding
Lab Notebooks in the Pre-K & Elementary Classroom
Visual Arts and Design
The Art, Science, and Design Engineering of Kites
Innovation & Leadership
Flipping the Graduate School Model
Host a Workshop at Your School
Whether held on our Seattle campus or hosted at your school, UCDS Institute workshops are some of the most informative and fun professional development you’ll find anywhere! Contact us to learn more about how you can host or attend one of our events, courses, or workshops.