Fall 2018 Quarter-Long Course
Designing a Culture of Inquiry – Starts October 13th!
What is inquiry-based learning? How can you integrate inquiry in the classroom to spark curiosity and engage students in deeper learning? Designing a Culture of Inquiry will examine the definitions, theories, and impacts of inquiry and identify strategies for enacting inquiry in planning, instruction, and assessment. We will highlight inquiry tools and methods that can be transferred across diverse early childhood through middle school contexts and domains.
Instructors and participants will share and discuss classroom experiences and create plans to integrate new inquiry tools into our work. Additionally, woven throughout the course will be ongoing opportunities to understand inquiry as it relates to the reflective practitioner. Participants will actively engage in the inquiry cycle and investigate how it can provide a guide for continuous professional growth and deeper student learning.
This course is designed to support participants to:
- Understand the definitions, theories and impacts of inquiry based learning
- Reflect on their school context/culture and consider the possibilities of using inquiry more actively in their teaching
- Explore the language and environment of inquiry, identifying strategies for enacting inquiry in planning and instruction
- Investigate inquiry through the lens of different subject areas
- Learn about inquiry in other programs and contexts and network with other learning professionals
- Learn how to use inquiry to assess student understanding and their own teaching
- Deepen their own reflective practice
Meaningful, Hands-On Professional Development
The UCDS Institute hosts a variety of events, courses, and educational workshops throughout the year. Our offerings range from one-off evening seminars and speaker events to intensive, credit-bearing courses. Our instructors are experienced UCDS teachers and workshops are designed so that the techniques explored will work in conjunction with your existing curricula. Our expert faculty designs workshops and courses to be informative, hands-on and most of all, fun!
Recent Courses and Workshops
Constructing Mathematical Understanding
Lab Notebooks in the Pre-K & Elementary Classroom
Visual Arts and Design
The Art, Science, and Design Engineering of Kites
Innovation & Leadership
Flipping the Graduate School Model
Host a Workshop at Your School
Whether held on our Seattle campus or hosted at your school, UCDS Institute workshops are some of the most informative and fun professional development you’ll find anywhere! Contact us to learn more about how you can host or attend one of our events, courses, or workshops.